Root Canal Treatment in Reno, NV
Root canal treatment involves the removal of the diseased pulp along with the tooth’s nerve (located within a tooth’s root canal). The pulp chamber and root canal(s) of your tooth are then cleaned, medicated and sealed. A dental crown or other restorative treatment is used to protect and strengthen the tooth.
How Do I Know If I Need A Root Canal?
Sometimes a problem can exist without showing typical warning signs. In these cases, xrays during your routine dental checkup can help discover the tooth damage. Some common symptoms that show you may need a root canal include:
- Tooth or gum pain, discoloration, or sensitivity to heat or cold
- A tooth that feels tender or sensitive to the touch
- A tooth abscess (pus enclosed in the tissues of the jawbone at the tip of an infected tooth)
- Swelling or tenderness in your lymph nodes
What Is A Root Canal?
If you’re experiencing any of the symptoms above, or an xray shows areas of concern, a root canal is then performed to clean out the infected tooth pulp, and disinfect the canals of the tooth.
- An opening is made in the top of the tooth and your endodontist will remove the soft pulp and nerve and then shape the interior for filling
- The root canal is then cleaned, and filled with a rubber-like biocompatible material (gutta percha)
- A temporary filling is placed to protect the area until your follow up visit
- A permanent restoration, such as a crown, will be placed to protect the tooth
Sometimes a root canal is not the recommended treatment, and the other option would be to extract the tooth.
Schedule A Root Canal Treatment
Don’t wait for treatment. Delaying treatment can potentially lead to more dental issues. If you’re experiencing any of the symptoms above, please call our Reno dental office today for an appointment.